Cookie Wreck. Sour Tangie. Bordello. No, not rock bands. These are a few of the many different cannabis strains popular with adult users in Massachusetts.
Beyond their funky names, however, are important distinctions. Different strains of marijuana plants have different ratios of CBD to THC and different amounts of other cannabinoids. Each strain has different levels of terpenes and flavonoids, so they look and smell drastically different. The point is, each strain will have a different effect on the mind and body.
Growers cultivate strains for specific effects and properties. For example, some are more likely to increase feelings of happiness, euphoria, and focus, while others will promote feelings of relaxation and sleepiness. Some help more with pain or inflammation, while others may be more effective for reducing stress and anxiety.
Generally, strains fall into three major categories: Indica (tending toward more relaxing properties), Sativa (offering more energizing effects), and hybrid (a combination of the two). However, these categories may be too broad to be helpful, and there is a lot of crossover between strains. In reality, most cannabis found on the market today is actually a hybrid. Strains may have a more uplifting (Sativa) effect or a relaxing (Indica) effect, but there are few 100% pure strains out there anymore. And aside from how a strain typically affects consumers, each person has unique body chemistry so your body’s reaction to a strain could be very different from someone else’s experience.
Popular Massachusetts Cannabis Strains
To give you a better sense of the variations between different marijuana strains, here some of the effects you may expect from some of the most popular products in Massachusetts.
- GG #4 (Original Glue): This strain gets its name from its tendency to leave users feeling “glued” to the couch. An Indica leaning hybrid, it derives from Chem’s Sister, Sour Dubb, and Chocolate Diesel, and is a favorite for those seeking heavy doses of euphoria and relaxation.
- Bordello: Another hybrid, this strain hits behind the eyes, potentially offering relief from migraines or eye conditions (such as glaucoma), along with a dose of Sativa-like mental effects.
- Cookie Wreck: A cross between two popular strains, Girl Scout Cookies, and Trainwreck, this hard-hitting hybrid can offer a feeling of euphoria while leaving users relaxed and uplifted.
- GSC (Girl Scout Cookies): With a potent THC content, GSC may create a relaxing, euphoric cerebral space that is great in offering relief for pain, nausea, and appetite loss.
- Sour Tangie: This heavy Sativa hybrid cross between East Coast Sour Diesel and Tangie may produce a creative and elevating buzz that can help with depression, stress, fatigue, and anxiety.
Navigating the Map
There are websites, such as leafly.com, that can help break down each strain’s reported effects, but keep in mind, cannabis is a growing, living thing. Many variables can create differences in how each plant turns out. The same strain, grown in different conditions, will produce different levels of cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids, all of which have an impact on the effects that consumers experience. An experienced budtender should be consulted when consumers are attempting to determine which strain is most likely to provide the desired effects, especially if you are a beginner.
Monday - Thursday 10am–8pm
Friday & Saturday 10am–9pm